Forest, Cunningham’s Gap, 1856
Watercolour. 30.5 x 42cm
Collection: Queensland Art Gallery.
The squatters and tourists used Cunningham’s Gap to travel between Brisbane and the Downs; it was only a rough bridle path, unsuitable for stock or vehicles. From 1847 until the 1920s Spicer’s Gap Road was the usual route, but the steep track through Cunningham’s Gap had better views and remained the favourite with tourists.